Where Does Erectile Dysfunction Come From, and What Can Be Done About It?

Erectile dysfunction is diagnosed when a man consistently struggles to achieve or keep a hard erection. Therefore, his capacity for sexual activity is diminished.

Most men experience difficulty in maintaining an erect penis at some point in their lives. However, erectile dysfunction can become a cause for alarm if it occurs frequently or persists over time. 

Erectile dysfunction, also known as impotence, prevents either partner from experiencing a fulfilling sexual encounter. In particular, it can affect the self-esteem of men. In reality, many men experience erectile dysfunction. The good news is that those who seek treatment at a Brooklyn urologist typically see some degree of improvement.

Causes of ED

If you have persistent problems getting or keeping an erection, you should see a doctor. This person can identify a physical or mental cause for the concern.

There may be underlying medical issues that are causing your erection troubles. Problems with getting or keeping an erection could be the result of a more serious health condition. If you want to fix your sexual issues, you need to seek a diagnosis. 

One of the most common reasons for erectile dysfunction is atherosclerosis, which blocks blood vessels and hence reduces blood flow. This medical disorder can restrict blood flow to the penis, making it unable to achieve an erection. Prescription drugs are another possible source of impotence issues.

Reasons rooted in one’s mind

Physical causes account for 90% of ED cases, whereas psychological issues account for the remaining 10%. Sometimes, there is no wrong or damaged part of the body. When a man is unable to get an erection, it is often due to issues on the mental side of things. A variety of mental health disorders may cause erectile dysfunction.

  • Intimacy 
  • phobia
  • extreme nervousness
  • despair
  • shame


Erectile dysfunction can, thankfully, be treated. The first step is to decide to adopt a healthy way of living. Most medical problems are treated with medicine prescribed by a doctor. A few examples of ED drugs are:

  • Sildenafil (Viagra)
  • Vardenafil (Staxyn) and 
  • Levitra (vardenafil) 
  • Stendra (avanafil) and Cialis (tadalafil)

These drugs relax the muscle tissue around the affected area, allowing more blood to reach the muscle. Because of this, a man is better able to get and keep an erection in response to sexual stimulation.

It is not a good idea to take ED drugs if you are also taking nitrates for cardiac problems. When taken together, these drugs can induce a dangerous drop in blood pressure. Involve your doctor at all times before taking any of these medications.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *