Canada has become a thriving hub for most international students to study abroad. It has the world’s 21 top universities among the 500 universities and many top research institutes and universities across the world. If studying abroad is your plan, then Canada must be at the top of the list. Vocational studies are more popular in Canada since they seem to offer more job chances. Canada is a favorable destination for immigration because of its low population density and employment opportunities.
Reasons why to choose Canada for studies
- One of the best reasons why to choose Canada for higher studies is for its Academic excellence. It has proven excellence in the quality of education with top universities in the world.
- Affordability could be the next reason why you should opt for Canada for higher studies. Compared to UK and US, the tuition fee in Canada is cheaper.
- Canada always welcomes people from different cultures and diversity. The multicultural environment will give you a homely feel and a peaceful living.
- Canada consistently has ranked as one of the safest countries in the world to live or study. No difference is shown between foreign students and Canadian students.
- Canada allows you to work for 20 hours every week during semesters and full-time during summer and winter breaks. This is again a huge add-on that students can earn while studying and can cover their own needs by themselves.
This blog will be your ultimate study guide to setup your education in Canada
Find the requirements
- Find the right course and the university which offers it. Then understand the requirements which differ from one course to another and one institute to another. Meet the eligibility criteria and submit your application.
- Make sure you plan your process of applying for a study permit, at least a year before. Before applying for a study permit, you must hold an acceptance letter from a Canadian-designated learning institution (DLI).
- There are some common requirements like an updated passport, proven English or French proficiency test results with minimum grade or score, and proof to show that you are financially stable to cover both your studies and livelihood in Canada.
Take Language Proficiency Test
- Every international student will need to demonstrate fluency in either English or French to be admitted to Canada. The preferred English language test is IELTS, while some colleges will also accept results from Cambridge English Advanced. You can choose from the DALF, DELF, or TCF exams for French, though the TEF test is the most popular option.
Document checklist for the international students
Certain documents are required for the application process.
Acceptance letter: It’s the letter sent from your college university confirming your acceptance into your program.
Proof of financial support: you must show proof that you are financially capable to cover your tuition fees and your cost of living in Canada.
Identity documents: Passport, Birth certificate, and marriage certificate.
Study Permit Application
- Once you meet all your eligibility requirements and got an acceptance letter from the applied university, you can start applying for the study permit application. Collect all the documents required and show that you are qualified for immigration and met all the requirements. So that your application will not get rejected.
- For application submission, you got methods to submit. Either you can create an account on the IRCC website and submit an electronic application or you can submit a paper-based application to the Visa Application Centre (VAC) designated in your country.
- Processing time differs for every application and mostly it takes around 1-2 weeks. It can even take 16 weeks to get processed. You may suffer delays if you submit your application close to the start of the Canadian academic year.
Once your application gets processed and conducted an interview, if necessary, finally the immigration officer would decide on issuing the study permit. Upon being accepted you can start packing your stuff to Canada. Your permit will have a start date, which is the date from which you’re allowed to enter Canada. So, travel accordingly.
Your permit and other documents will be verified at the Port of Entry by the immigration officer before you enter Canada. After this process, you can finally commence your journey as an international student in Canada.
CanApprove is an overseas education service providing firm acting for close to 25 years now. At CanApprove, we can guide you through every process of your overseas education. You will be connected with one of our top educational counselors. Contact us now!